CORE PURPOSE AND MISSION
The IA Summit exists to promote discourse and learning about the intentional design of information environments. It is a gathering of the practitioners from around the globe who practice and teach Information Architecture and other design-related disciplines.
The IA Summit is the preeminent event for information architecture learning and discourse.
- We provide resources for practitioners at all stages of their career to discover established best-practices and to hear about the latest research and techniques.
- The IA Summit ecosystem provides a clear pathway for practitioners to become globally renowned voices.
- We are the eponymous place for new thinking in IA.
The IA Summit is created for and by the IA community
- The global IA community provides content.
- Organizers are chosen from practitioners in the IA community.
- Volunteers, speakers, and workshop providers are recognized for their contributions.
- All attendees are welcome and safe in the conference environment. We welcome voices from all perspectives and levels of experience.
- We grow our practical and theoretical expertise by reaching out to related fields.
- Our core area of authority is information architecture as both a discipline and a philosophy.
The IA Summit is unified across years
- The event delivers on the mission, values, and core purpose of the IA Summit brand.
- We preserve and transfer institutional memory. Organizers document processes and advise successors. They reuse successes and innovate, rather than rebooting year on year.
- Though each city-specific event is tonally distinct, the overall voice, personality, and values of the IA Summit brand remain constant and are echoed throughout.
To inform, to educate, to inspire
The IA Summit values the credibility and practicality of ideas. Presenters and attendees work together to understand and develop our discipline.
Our educational and thought-provoking program serves information professionals at all stages of their career. The IA Summit inspires the community as a whole to advance their craft.
Professional and accountable
The IA Summit values the judgement and expertise of our chairs, advisors, and volunteers. We aim to deliver the best conference event we can with our volunteer team and within time, budgetary, and logistical constraints.
Our leadership team draws from experienced and dedicated community members. They are courteous and efficient in organisation. They are proactive in solving problems and operate without ego or malice. They are at the service of the event and of our community.
Share early, share often
The IA Summit is transparent in our processes and organisation. Team members document ongoing progress and ideas publicly for the benefit of our successors and the community at large. We collaborate internally to exchange ideas, communicate progress, and confirm responsibilities.
We value the IA community’s shared role in delivering the IA Summit. We listen to their counsel, ask for their help, and publicly recognise their contribution.
Each session proposal receives feedback from volunteer reviewers. When the final program is announced, co-chairs and curators justify each session’s inclusion.
Prioritize diversity and inclusion
IA Summit is a safe and secure environment. We welcome all attendees regardless of experience, nationality, gender identity, sexuality, race, religion, or impairment. Our sessions and social events are inclusive and as accessible as possible.
IA Summit values the growth of the IA community. Information architecture professionals – whether newcomers or veterans – are invited to converse, share ideas, and learn from each other. Professionals outside the IA community are welcomed to bring new energy to our industry.
We value diversity and actively encourage new voices and new faces for both speakers and attendees of the Summit. We strive to build an inclusive conference by providing submissions coaching, speaker mentoring, and accessibility accommodations for attendees.
Progression open to all
We value the role of the IA Summit in the professional development of all those who affect information environments.
Volunteer opportunities and a scale of admission rates maximize the opportunity for participation and contribution. We support job seekers in information architecture and related fields through ongoing and expanded commitment to professional networking and recruitment.
A variety of session types provides a pathway for people to express and share their work and ideas, from poster to plenary. Attendees can develop public speaking skills and ideas through our encouraging community and one-on-one mentoring. Over time, dedicated attendees can become increasingly involved in the IA Summit and recognized in the broader community for their contributions and thought leadership.
Old friends gather and new friends meet at the IA Summit. Attendees thrive on our mix of intense session material and interest-driven social events. Together, the content and participants create an environment that is energizing, light-hearted, and even a little weird.
Plan and build for the long-term
The IA Summit looks to the future and adapts to the changing needs of the community year-on-year. We are bold and forward thinking in our ambition. We are not afraid of failure.
Each team builds the continued success of the IA Summit. Team members seek valuable institutional memory from past volunteers. They prepare for future teams by documenting their own successes for reuse. Together and across events, volunteers build the long-term purpose and mission of the brand.
Prior to its own event, each event’s chair committee appoints the new committee. The co-chairs aim to make the transition smoother and smoother each year.
The Information Architecture Summit has served the community of practice for IA professionals for nearly two decades, and will continue to expand, adapt, and evolve while adhering to this mission, vision, and values.