IA Summit 2018 Pre-Conference WorkshopTopic(s): ecommerce and navigation
Note: Full-day workshops include lunch!
Designing the navigation for a large website should be easy, right? You do the research, do a card sort and roll it out…WRONG! Designing navigation requires the patience of a saint, negotiation skills of a diplomat, the eye of a content strategist and the detailed hand of a taxonomist.
In this introductory workshop aimed at people who are about to or are in the middle of creating navigation for a site, Mags Hanley will teach you the process for designing navigation, and provide hands-on tools for actually doing it.
- Identifying the business value of the project and benchmarks for success
- Current-state analysis
- Site and content audits
- Understanding the users’ mental models
- User research and usability testing
- Creation of navigation models and principles
- Development of labels and links
- Integration within a site
- Ongoing measurement and business as usual (BAU)
About the speaker(s)
Mags Hanley is an Information Architect, manager, and teacher who has worked on digital products for over 20 years. She has worked on brands from Yellow Pages in Australia to BBC, Santander, and Debenhams in the UK. She loves IA, not just the thrill of recategorizing handbags, but the way it structurally underpins the whole of the digital experience.