IA Summit 2018 Pre-Conference WorkshopTopic(s): service design
This workshop will help experience design practitioners leverage methods of design thinking to produce new and compelling service and system designs. It will provide a foundation for thinking about the behavioral touchpoints that a user may experience with a company and how those touchpoints can be better designed to support a richer and purposeful brand experience.
The primary emphasis of this workshop is on diagramming and storytelling. Participants will learn how to create quick, testable, low-fidelity representations of ideas that help to reveal possible improvements. We will explore how to visualize complex ideas, minimize complexity and simply illustrate changes in a complex system. You will be equipped with new skills to help you introduce a culture of making into your organization.
After taking this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Use an effective language of criticism and evaluation to analyze the efficacy and value of an existing service
- Think about experiences as a series of designed touchpoints across a dynamic product ecosystem
- Appreciate system thinking and how changes in one part of a system can impact another part of a system
- Use fundamental communication techniques to craft narratives of how people experience designed artifacts over time
- Articulate the value of designing for time-based experiences in order to sell and evangelize for service-based thinking
About the speaker(s)
Jon Kolko is the Founder and Director of Austin Center for Design, and Partner at Modernist Studio. He was previously the Vice President of Design at Blackboard, the largest educational software company in the world. He has worked extensively with both startups and Fortune 500 companies, and he’s most interested in humanizing educational technology.
Jon has previously held positions of Executive Director of Design Strategy at Thinktiv, a venture accelerator in Austin, Texas, and both Principal Designer and Associate Creative Director at frog design, a global innovation firm. He has been a Professor of Interaction and Industrial Design at the Savannah College of Art and Design, where he was instrumental in building both the Interaction and Industrial Design undergraduate and graduate programs. Jon has also held the role of Director for the Interaction Design Association (IxDA), and Editor-in-Chief of interactions magazine, published by the ACM. He is regularly asked to participate in high-profile conferences and judged design events, including the 2013 Cooper-Hewitt National Design Awards. He has taught at the University of Texas at Austin, the Center for Design Studies of Monterrey, in Mexico, and Malmö University, in Sweden.