Noreen Whysel is a NYC based UX researcher, entrepreneur and mapping enthusiast. She currently directs operations for a startup, financial application helping people align big life decisions with personal values. She is also exploring the creation of a 9/11 geographic archive with the Fund for the City of New York. She consults, teaches, mentors and organizes local community activities.
In addition to volunteering with her local Wikimedia community, she also works with GIS, secure identity, civic hacking, Code4Lib, theater archives and open source organizations.
IA Summit 2015 Main Conference Talk
Become an IA Wikipedian and help discover and promote the people, events and history of Information Architecture. Wikipedia is more than just a global, multi-language, linked encyclopedia. It is a community of people committed to accurate and deep discovery of a world of topics. Case studies on recent Wikipedia edit-a-thons, outcomes and controversies will inform the process for participants as they help to improve the accuracy and discoverability of Information Architecture topics on Wikipedia.
What will you learn?
- What really happens behind the scenes of a Wikipedia page.
- How Wikipedia is fulfilling Tim Berners-Lee’s vision of a linked, open collection of human knowledge.
- How to create an account and start editing Wikipedia pages.
- How to appropriately link and cite content within a Wikipedia document.
- How to avoid conflicts of interest, so your hard work doesn’t disappear.
- How to find information about Information Architecture and fill in gaps, correct errors, suggest new content.
- How to run your own Wikipedia edit-a-thon back home.
- Appreciation of Wikipedia as a knowledge resource
- Appreciation of Wikipedia as a community
- How and why to set up a Wikipedia Account
- Understanding of Wikipedia Conflict of Interest rules
- Understanding of proper citation and linking
- Satisfaction of giving back to one’s industry
- Tools and knowledge to host a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon back home
Visit WikiProject:Information Architecture and join the movement!